Walkerburn Public Hall – a part of the community since 1907

In 1871 the Good Templar movement made a decided impression on the village and resulted in the formation of the “Lily of the Tweed” lodge and consequently in 1877 the erection of the Good Templar Hall. This was a distinct acquisition to the village providing much more comfortable and commodious accommodation for entertainments of all kinds. Financially , however, it was not a success in the hands of the Templars and in 1908 it was decided to dispose of it, when it passed into the hands of a local committee who purchased it on behalf of the village. the original trust deed shows that to raise funds to purchase the hall a public bazaar was held on 13th and 14th December 1907 and the sumo £688 9s 7d was raised. an offer of £450 was made to the Trustees of the Lodge and this being accepted the Walkerburn Public Hall came into being.

From “Walkerburn: Its origin and progress 1854 – 1987. F.W. Pearce